Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Hawley Attorneys > Pike County Family Attorney

Pike County Family Attorney

While most people associate the practice of family law with divorce, there are a number of other services that family lawyers provide. Indeed, divorce is the central issue surrounding family law practices, but there are a number of different ways to handle a divorce. As such, it is important to understand some of your options for divorce and the type of services that a family legal practice provides.

Our Lawyers Can Help You Adopt a Child

While family law is too often rooted in acrimony, family lawyers also help couples adopt children. The adoption process is confusing and the government requires that you jump through quite a few hoops before you are allowed to bring a child into your home. It probably doesn’t seem fair. Those who can naturally bear children do not have to go through a background check. Nonetheless, the government has an incentive to protect children without homes from those in society who would harm them. Farley & Weed, LLC can help you through this process.

Alimony and Spousal Support Payments

In some cases, one spouse will not have the same amount of earning power as the other. Their health may not be as good or they simply don’t have the qualifications. In cases where one spouse did most of the housekeeping or there is some other situation that prevents or limits the other spouse from earning, the State of Pennsylvania will award that spouse alimony or spousal support. The attorneys at Farley & Weed, LLC can help you lobby the court for spousal support or prove why your former spouse shouldn’t be awarded spousal support.

Child Support Payments

Child support payments are separate from spousal support payments. It is expected that, in any marriage where there are children, the parent who does not have primary or residential custody of the children will help financially support the children. This is true regardless of whether or not the court allows the parent to have access to their children.

Child Custody Arrangements

The State of Pennsylvania generally assumes that it is in the children’s best interest to have two capable adults in their lives. It is only under extreme circumstances that Pennsylvania will deny access of one parent to the children. However, if you believe that the other parent is unfit or, conversely, if you’re fighting allegations of your fitness from a vindictive parent, Farley & Weed, LLC can help.

In more mundane cases, child custody arrangements need to be altered or updated to fit changing realities. It’s important to submit a revised custody schedule with the court so that it’s legally binding. Our attorneys can help with that.

Same-Sex Marriage

Same-sex marriage is now the law in all 50 states. Despite that, the laws of states that opposed same-sex marriage have not been updated to reflect the Supreme Court ruling. Our attorneys can help you through the process of applying for a marriage license or getting a same-sex divorce. If you and your spouse wish to adopt children we can also help you with that.

Talk to a Pike County Family Attorney Today

The family lawyers at Farley & Weed, LLC are more than happy to field any questions you might have concerning your divorce situation. Please feel free to give us a call or contact us online.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2019 - 2024 Farley & Weed, LLC. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.